Reid Glacier/Flying Buttress/Wy’East

By Nick Maslen

March 15, 2021

Reid Glacier/Flying Buttress/Wy’East

This trip report is intended to inform climbers of the current conditions on the lesser frequented aspects of the mountain, piggybacking off of the 3/1/21 PMR presentation that highlighted other routes on Mt. Hood beyond the standard route. There is a lot of route information already about the standard route as of 3/15/21, so the trip/conditions will be focused on the other aspects we climbed/skied. Overview We set out to do a multi route trip up Mt. Hood on Saturday, 3/13/21. Our route of travel was from Timberline up the Reid Glacier Headwall to the top of the West Crater Rim, ski down to Devil’s Kitchen, climb up the Flying Buttress route to the East Crater Rim, then ski down the Wy’East face/White River Canyon back to Timberline. This allowed us to see 2 aspects of the mountain while skiing and avoid the crowds on an inherently busy weekend.

Continue reading

Ice Climbing in Washington with Mountain Bureau LLC

By Theresa Silveyra

February 14, 2021

Ice Climbing in Washington with Mountain Bureau LLC

“Use your feet!” It was the most used phrase of the weekend and the one on repeat in my head as I carefully made my way up the crux of the final pitch of ice before the long rappels back to the base of our three-pitch climb. There was so much to see and revel in now that I was nearing the high point for the day, but here I was focused on my feet, watching and feeling the crampon points bite into the ice so I could confidently stand up and take another swing.

Continue reading

Uphill travel policies at Mount Hood Resorts

By Mountain Shop

November 30, 2020

Uphill travel policies at Mount Hood Resorts

Trying out alpine touring at Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows or Ski Bowl this year? Check out their new Uphill travel policies!

Continue reading

The 10 Fall Hike Essentials!

By Mountain Shop

November 9, 2020

The 10 Fall Hike Essentials!

Hiking in the fall in the Pacific Northwest can feature sunny and 65 degree weather, a drizzly downpour and a 30 degree temperature downgrade, or sideways snow and freezing temps. Be prepared with the 10 fall hike essentials as your venture onto the trails this autumn.

Continue reading

The Backcountry Best Seller: Voile Straps!

By Mountain Shop

November 2, 2020

The Backcountry Best Seller: Voile Straps!

We've assembled 10 uses for a Voile Strap and why you should add one to your shopping list, even if you aren’t a skier!

Continue reading

Trip Report: Steens Mountain Wilderness!

By Mountain Shop

October 26, 2020

Trip Report: Steens Mountain Wilderness!

Mountain Shop expert Jan gives us her Steens Mountain Wilderness beta.

Continue reading

Recipe for Successful Ski Season Savings!

By Mountain Shop

October 10, 2020

Recipe for Successful Ski Season Savings!

We know everyone loves a great deal, but does buying skis and/or ski boots online really save you that much money? Here at Mountain Shop we’ve brewed up the best recipe for a successful ski season at great prices. Read this quick recipe to learn how shopping local saves you money in the long run!

Continue reading

Self-Supported Mt. Rainier Bike Circumnavigation: 153 miles!

By Mountain Shop

August 31, 2020

Self-Supported Mt. Rainier Bike Circumnavigation: 153 miles!

Mountain Shop ambassador and badass ultra runner Syd Long hit the road for a 153 mile single-day self-supported circumnavigation of Mt. Rainier on her bike! Click the image above to see more pics of her successful endeavor, and read more about her training, logistics, the ride and her gear.

Continue reading

{{title}}

{{author}}{{tags}}

{{date}}

{{summary}}

Continue reading